Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Week 89 (Here Comes the Sun... Beatles)

Hehe, kind of ironic the subject title today. I had wanted to do something that has to do with the sun, but looking out the window I realize that it is a very un-sunny day. Haha. Perhaps the monsoons are coming. I don't remember when they came last year but they seem to be a little late. WHo knows. This week has been good. There are a couple of people that we are working with that we are pretty excited for. They know that it is all true, they each just have a few challenges to get through and then they will be able to follow-through with their desires. Sunday we had what is called the Mission President's Fireside which is held every 3rd Sunday of the month. This time it was my responsibility to stand up front with the Spanish person baring their testimony, and translate. This time it was Blanca who got baptized on Mother's Day. She wasn't too aware of the fact that I don't have an eternal memory and so her first phrase that she left for me to translate was about a minute long. Apparently my face looked more and more concentrated/flustered as time went on (some people told me after) due to the increasing amount of things to remember. When it finally came to for me to speak for the first time, everyone burst out laughing. Hehe, it was actually pretty funny. Blanca took it well, because she understood. While there, before the meeting started, to my excitement I saw Gustavo and his family. Gustavo and his daughter got baptized a little over a year ago. This whole time, the missionaries have been working with his wife, Viki, to help her take the same step. Elder Ries playfully asked, "When are you getting baptized Viki?!" She replied, "July 31st! YOu two better come!" Oh boy, we were SO happy! Gustavo that same morning will being to the temple to become endowed. I also heard that that is when another family, the Arrendondo's are going to do the same. And the following weekend they will be getting sealed. It was great news! We are for sure going to be able to go to the baptism. We are just hoping that we can go to the temple as well. Everything is going well with the work in our Zone. The Lord is really pleased with what is happening. People keep popping up that are ready and so desirous to come unto Christ. It is a beautiful thing to see. Today we went to the Temple. It was such a wonderful and peaceful experience; more than normal. I am really excited to make it a more regular habit when I get home. Our Heavenly Father has provided us with so many precious means of finding comfort and guidance in this world. And all of it comes to mean more to us as we come to understand better the Atonement in our lives. I was listening to the talk by Elder Richard G. Scott- "He Lives! All Glory to His Name!" Listen to it. It gives a lot of insight on how to constantly better our understanding and gratitude for the greatest gift offered us which is the Atonement. I love this work. Every last bit of it! I hope each of you enjoy your weeks as you try to better understand your relationship with our Heavenly Father and what He would have you do. Take care!

-Elder LaPorte =)

No comments: