Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Week 14 (Just Watch the Fireworks..)

So this week was a pretty good one. I mean, they all are, even with the ups and downs, but this week was pretty cool. On friday, we, as a mission, got to go into Tempe and have a meeting with Elder Neil L. Andersen (sp?) and Elder L. Tom Perry. Before the meeting got underway he had us all shake his hand. For the record, he is TALL. and funny. When talking about this generations form of communication, he joked about our hands evolving to eventually only have thumbs because all we do is text. haha. I thought that was funny. Anyways, it was a very nice meeting listening to the both of them speak. The part that I was most excited for was actually the meeting that he had later that day with all of the Stake Presidents, High Council members in charge of missionary work, Bishops, and Ward Missionaries/Leaders. There ( we weren't there, but I heard) they really drove home the role of the wards' involvement in missionary work and how to do it. They emphasized studying chapters 8 and 13 of P.M.G. to help them in their responsibilities. Anyways, it was a really nice start to the day. Plus, I was able to see my 3 other spanish buddies who came out with me; Elder Scott, Elder Nielsen and Elder Ries. It's interesting to see the change in all of them. Especially Elder Nielsen. He says "that's righteous" to everything now. I guess his companion is a "far out" guy. haha. Anyways, maybe that's how he has always been, but he's just opening up now. There was a funny experience that we had this week. We were going to find this referral in this very rural neighborhood. We found the address, but were having difficulty finding the house. All that we could see were horse stables. So, we went up to this gentleman in a truck that we had seen sitting by the property the whole time to ask him what he might know of the location of the house. It turned out that he was a missionary of another church, waiting for his companion. No sooner did he realize that we were going to find the same person that he was going to teach, did he begin to start his car and drive onto the property, giving a hearty goodbye. haha. He raced off, without his companion, trying to beat us to the punch. We plan to go back another day, but it was just funny how quickly he acted once he knew what we were about. One thing that I'm reminded of constantly is the room that there is for personal growth while being out here. When it seems like you get over one challenge, another comes along, trying you some more. With the right attitude, it can be great, but it takes a lot of effort to make sure that you frame of mind stays where it should be. This experience is very rewarding as I take a step back and try to see what the Lord is trying to make of me with my experiences. haha, one last thing. actually, I thought of another, so two. First off, I heard this song that I think everybody knows that got stuck in my head, it goes, "Follow me, everything is alright. I'll be the one to tuck you in at night, and if you wanna leave, I can guarantee, you won't find nobody else like me." That last line caught my attention, because it's basically the worst ultimatum ever. To say that you won't find somebody else like me isn't too helpful when that's probably why she's leaving; to find someone NOT like him. haha. I just thought that was a funny line. I've heard that song since who-knows-when but have never thought about it. Item #2, Sunday was the superbowl and the Arizona cardinals were playing. Most of the english elders had trouble getting the work done because EVERYONE was watching it. Almost. We got lucky and found someone the day before who had to move out of their place by monday, and they were kind've in a bind. So, we helped them. The guy was playing it on the radio of the truck, and it was funny because whenever there was a big play, you could hear all of the neighboring houses cheering or yelling. It reminded me of back home how you could hear the football games if you kept the window open. It was funny. Everyone was way into it and way disappointed when they lost. That was the number one thing I heard talked about the next day when we went to talk to people. Ok, well, transfers are next week, so if you have anything to write, send it to the mission home address in case I get transferred. I'm excited to be here and to keep learning and growing as I teach others. Another cool thing was that we had the baptism of Sylvia last saturday. It was very nice. She is a very sweet lady. Take care! Happy V-day to those whom it may concern! haha. Bye

-Elder LaPorte =)

No comments: