Monday, December 1, 2008

Week 5 (Testing the Strong Ones...)

Hey! O boy, I can't say enough about the way my heart is full. I'll start with mentioning the people that I have run into this week. I saw Elder Jolley (lizzy, it was weird seeing him with short hair.) I saw Elder Leyland, Elder Grober, Elder Hingson and Elder Brereton. I don't know why I didn't mention Elder Brereton last week. I must have been too rushed to think about it while writing my e-mail last week. I saw Elder Brereton the day that he arrived. He lives in the same building as me but the floor below so I can basically see him in the evening any day I want. I got us all together (Elder Faulk, Brereton and myself) to take a picture by the world map on thanksgiving day. It was a nice moment.
Moving on...tons of great things are happening here. Thanksgiving was good. We had Elder Neuenschwander speak to us and he had lots of good stuff to say. It really suprises me how much I learn and my heart is touched every week. What a blessing this mission is. To set up what I will talk about next it would help to mention that last Sunday, Elder Scott and I became Zone leaders. I think I forgot to mention that last week. I mention it to explain the feelings of my heart as I serve the missionaries in my zone. It's no joke when they say that you end up with ALL kinds of Elders out here. I'm finding that regardless of the kind of person they are,my love for them grows as I serve them. In interviewing the district leaders this last week my heart was filled with grattitude as I realized that blessing it is to have leaders that truly try and follow God's direction. There is a certain mantle and revelation that leaders are entitled to as they are called and as I have tried to listen to the Spirit to know how to best serve these Elders and Sisters it has made me greatful for the leaders in my life. When a leader is truly seeking inspiration from the Lord it is a comforting thing because we aren't really in the hands of that person who was called to look after us, but rather, we are in the hands of the Lord. I am grateful for leaders who strive to follow the Spirit and for the chance that I have to try and be the same source by which blessings flow for each of the missionaries that I serve. This work is great and I can't even imagine how I will continue to grow in the next 23 months. It has only been one month and I'm blown away. I love the Lord and I love this work. Take care and Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

-Elder LaPorte

p.s. thanksgiving rendered me even more grateful than I usually am. it was nice.

No comments: